Monday, January 23, 2012

Disaster Preparedness - Moving With The Flow Of The Universe

A friend just mentioned the concept of Wu Wei. I had not been thinking of that idea in my life lately and I needed that reminder.  I think of Wu Wei as moving with the flow of the universe. It wastes energy and other resources to fight against the flow of energy in the universe.

I think that most religions have some understanding of the idea of Wu Wei. Christians call it grace. Taoists and others call it chi. It is all the same stuff no matter what you call it.

Here is the definition my friend provided of Wu Wei:

"The 8th Verse of the Tao talks about Wu Wei. It states:
“The supreme good is like water, which nourishes all things without trying.
Live in accordance with the nature of things.
Be timely in choosing the right moment.
One who lives in accordance with nature does not go against the way of things.
He moves in harmony with the present moment, always knowing the truth of just what to do.”"

I think preparedness is very dependent on Wu Wei. If you go with the flow of the universe, you will have a lot better chance to survive in adverse circumstances. Being prepared for disasters allows you to flow effortlessly with the flow of the universe even in the middle of a disaster.


The idea of Wu Wei is not a bad idea to use in your life every day either. It is kind of like learning to swim. When you  first start you splash like a breaching whale, or worse. You waste a lot of energy moving water and yourself everywhere but where things need to go. As you learn how to swim better, you don't make as big of a splash. When you get good at swimming, you move cleanly and gracefully through the water without much splashing. 


The same holds true for learning other things. We make a big mess a first and waste energy "splashing", then we get good and move forward better without making such a mess. 


I not only want to move with the flow of the universe in a disaster, I wish to do this in my entire life. I used to keep notes about it on my mirror and computer, etc. to remind me of this. I think I will do that again.


I hope this post strikes a chord inside my readers and helps you to move with the flow of the universe. I think this will make you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment