Monday, January 9, 2012

A Preview Of Some Of The Emergencies You May Need To Be Prepared For

I have already covered some of the emergencies that I believe we will face worldwide plus some more localized ones. I have enough posts on my site that it will require some dedicated reading to get through now. That means that it seems like a good idea to repeat the information about emergencies that you need to prepare for.


We have already seriously disturbed balances in nature all over the world. This disturbance in the natural orders means more and bigger disasters in local areas and on the earth as whole.


If you are easily distressed by knowing what you may face, you need to find a way to bolster your courage and fortitude. Not knowing these things may prove fatal. Being unprepared with knowledge will not help you. 


Some of these problems are difficult to explain in a few words, so they may require a whole post to cover or more. I have not gone into a lot of detail in previous posts, so even if you read all my previous posts, you will have something new to read.


One of the easier ones is hurricanes, or monsoons,  as they are called in other parts of the world than mine. 


People who are old enough to have been reading news about weather for a while, will have noticed that hurricanes are in the news more than they used to be. This is because they are getting worse. They are bigger and have faster winds than they used to have and we have more of them now.


I graphed hurricanes about 20 years ago and discovered that we will eventually get 650 miles per hour hurricanes. At the time I graphed them, hurricanes had never reached a wind speed of 200 mph. Shortly after the graph, we got 200 mph hurricanes. In about 20 years we went from below 200 mph maximum hurricanes to 300 mph.


My graph showed that we will go from 300 mph to 400 mph hurricanes faster than we went from 200 mph hurricanes to 300 mph ones. The graph climbed very steeply after that so we can expect the faster speeds pretty soon. I believe it will be less than 20 years before we see 650 mph ones.


I am not a scientist, so I cannot give you a lot of data to back this up. You can look up when the first 200 mph one occurred and when the first 300 mph one happened and draw your own conclusions. 


These conclusions about hurricanes upset me a lot. I did not like what I was seeing, so I asked a math whiz to check my graph for math. He said I did it correctly. He knew a meteorologist and asked my permission to show the graph to the meteorologist and ask him what he thought about it. I said yes.


The meteorologist said he thought I had his part right too. He added that if we did get 650 mph hurricanes they would be a lot worse than I thought. I had graphed the air pressure in the middle of the hurricanes too. 


The meteorologist explained to me that it is not the wind speed of the hurricanes that does the real damage, it is the air pressure at the middle. 


If we get 650 mph hurricanes, they will have air pressure low enough to act like a giant vacuum cleaner, pull a full grown tree out of the earth roots and all, and then suck up all the topsoil down to bedrock as well. That is what the meteorologist told me about my graph.


He did not need to tell me some other things, but did anyway. Hurricanes lose speed and power the further inland they go. Hurricanes that are bigger than we are used to can go further inland, and do more damage than they used to. We can expect much higher casualties than we used to get from hurricanes that were smaller.


I think that if people can manage it, they should move further inland. If they cannot move further inland they need better hurricane shelters. I believe they need to be in bedrock and have right angle turns at entrances to avoid being sucked out of the shelter by the hurricane.


I did share this information with various government officials, with no helpful results. That is probably due to the nature of politicians and civil servants. I think if you want to have adequate hurricane shelters, you need to make your government give them to you. They will just let people die otherwise.


I live in a very long inlet from the ocean. Other meteorologists say that it is not possible for a hurricane to get to my city because of the length of the inlet. I know otherwise. 


I am working on moving further inland. 

I believe that is more affordable for me than trying to make an adequate hurricane shelter by myself.


You may, of course, draw your own conclusions about hurricanes and what I have posted here. I hope my post will allow you to do what is necessary to make yourself and your loved ones safer. Sometimes disaster preparedness can be moving to a safer place.


This post is longer than I like it to be, but in order to cover the material about hurricanes adequately, it was necessary. That probably means the other disasters that I intend to cover will be longer and necessary to break into more than one post. I hope they will not bore you and take too long to read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment