Monday, May 7, 2012

Diatomaceous Earth Recipe For Disaster Risk Reduction


I am going to give you my recipe that I use to take D.E. (Diatomaceous Earth). I put it in a cup of hot cocoa and drink it that way. I do this twice a day. Some people do not take it this often, but only do it every few months. Other people take it more than I do. If you take it more, be careful to make sure you don't get constipated from it.


I believe D.E. works best when you take it on an empty stomach. The way that I do it is to do my oil pulling when I first get up in the morning. After I finish that, I drink my D.E. Taking the D.E. first keeps the oil pulling from working as well. 


D.E. is high in calcium and other components of bones, so it can help prevent, or perhaps reverse, osteoporosis. That is one of my additional reasons to take it.


Here is my recipe:


2 rounded teaspoons of D.E.
2 rounded teaspoons of instant cocoa powder
3 rounded teaspoons of Morning Moo powdered milk substitute
1 cup or mug almost full of hot water
Nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger to taste if desired


I like to put the D.E. and the milk substitute in the mug first, then add about 2/3 of the hot water and stir it until the solids dissolve. Not filling the mug when stirring, makes it much easier to stir well without splashing. Then I add the hot cocoa and stir that. I add the last bit of hot water or some cooler water and stir again before I drink it.


Some people like to put the D.E. in fruit juice or plain water. I like the cocoa because it disguises the slightly gritty texture of the D.E. I stir it frequently as I drink it, so there is not a lot of the D.E. left at the bottom of the cup. You are wasting D.E. if that happens.


D.E. stays dissolved, or in solution, better in hot liquids, like cocoa. 


You can buy D.E. at feed stores in small quantities meant for chickens. Never buy  D.E. meant for swimming pool filters. That kind has poison chemicals added to it. Look for D.E. that is labelled "Food Grade", if you can find it. That is the best way to make sure it is safe. 


D.E. is a common human food additive to stop bugs from hatching in stored food and to thicken or filter foods. It is also used all the time in animal food to stop bugs from eating it or hatching in it. You can put it in your own stored food to avoid bugs making it inedible or eating it up before you can eat it.


You can buy D.E. in health food stores, but it will cost a lot more there. Feed stores carry the same D.E.  They just charge a lot less for more of it. It is also easy to purchase D.E. online.


I like to keep a lot of extra D.E. on hand to use for insect control. It will kill insects that walk across it and is not dangerous to children or pets. I used to live in an area that had lots of cockroaches when I was in California. D.E. was a lifesaver for keeping my home free of the cockroaches. I used the D.E. in conjuction with other things and was able to keep the bugs out of my home.


I think D.E. would be invaluable in a shtf scenario. Disasters cause unsanitary conditions that encourage vermin. Vermin bring disease and the next thing you know you are sick and need a doctor.


D.E. is very useful for Disaster risk reduction. I like to use it all the time for this purpose. I also use it in bug out bags and survive-in-place supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment