Sunday, September 2, 2012

Who Zoomin' Who?

Aretha Franklin used to sing a song called, "Who's Zoomin' Who?" The song was apparently about what happens on the battlefield of love and lust. I applied it to life in general. 

Those immortal words, "Who's Zoomin' Who?" often come to mind in many situations. They are often applicable to attempts at preparedness.

Once you are prepared for one particular type of emergency, you are usually somewhat prepared for most other types of emergencies. The better you know which specific types of emergencies you are most likely to deal with, the better you can prepare for them.

Preparedness also works a lot better if you have as much warning as possible of when the emergency will be likely to hit. It helps a lot if you know that one kind of emergency will strike your area in the next decade, year or month. 

If you know that the emergency you are expecting will hit in half an hour or five minutes and they are going to call for evacuations in 15 minutes, you can grab your go bag and be on your way before the traffic jams start.

All of this means that paying attention to possible emergencies on the horizon is part of your preparedness. 

In a way, politicians and other government officials are the enemy of preparedness. The nature of politicians and other officials is to give the general public a snow job and not let out information. They don't necessarily do this because they want you to get caught looking for your birth certificate when the tsunami or whatever else hits. 

A common refrain with government officials is, "We can't tell people about X because we don't want to create panic." People do enough stupid things to give some credence to keeping things quiet to avoid panic. Government officials almost always take keeping things quiet much too far.

The motives of the government officials in such cases are suspect. It is usually inconvenient for the general populace to know too much about what is going on in general, let alone in regard to emergencies. Once people know too much they complain and make more work to do for government officials. This is regardless of whether the work urgently needs to be done or not.

If you want to be prepared for emergencies, you must seek the information you need to be prepared. You must seek it even though your government officials want to prevent you and others from panicking. 

Your government officials will cheerfully "zoom" you in their zeal to avoid unnecessary panic and work for themselves. 

It is helpful to remember that those few who hold power, have it with the consent of the majority who let them have that power. You don't have to let yourself and all the other 99% get zoomed. Who's zoomin' who?

The lyrics to the song are below. The site they come from and their information are at the bottom of the lyrics:


   Aretha Franklin - Who's Zoomin' Who Lyrics
Ooh, boy
Oh, yeah yeah
Oh yeah

You walked in on the sly
Scopin' for love
In the crowd I caught your eye
You can't hide your stuff

(You came to catch)
You thought I'd be naive and tame
(You met your match)
But I beat you at your own game, oh

(Who's zoomin' who?)
Take another look and tell me, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Who's zoomin' who?
(Who's zoomin who?)
Now the fish jumped off the hook, didn't I, baby?
(Who's zoomin who?)
Yeah

(Who's zoomin' who?)
Take another look and tell me, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Who's zoomin' who?
(Who's zoomin who?)
The fish jumped off the hook, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Yeah, yeah

Guess you believed the world
Played by your rules
Here stands an experienced girl
I ain't nobody's fool, bump you

(Don't speculate)
You thought you had me covered now, boy
(I've got your bait)
But you're bound to be my lover, oh

(Who's zoomin' who?)
Take another look and tell me, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Who's zoomin' who?
(Who's zoomin who?)
Now the fish jumped off the hook, didn't I, baby?
(Who's zoomin who?)
Yeah, yeah, oh

(Who's zoomin' who?)
Take another look and tell me, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Who's zoomin' who?
(Who's zoomin who?)
Now the fish jumped off the hook, didn't I, baby?
(Who's zoomin who?)
Hoo

You think you're smooth
And you can pick and choose when the time is right
But just look behind, you'll be surprised to find
I'm gonna make you mine tonight, oh yeah

(Who's zoomin' who?)
Take another look and tell me, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Now the fish jumped off the hook, didn't I, boy?
(Who's zoomin who?)
Take another look and tell me, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Didn't I, didn't I, didn't I, oh yeah

(Who's zoomin' who?)
Take another look and tell me, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Who's zoomin' who?
(Who's zoomin who?)
Take another look and tell me, baby
(Who's zoomin who?)
Yeah

(Who's zoomin' who?)
Fish in the sea within me
(Who's zoomin' who?)
Sure, you're alright, yeah yeah
(Who's zoomin' who?)
Take another look, tell me, boy
(Who's zoomin' who?)
Oh oh

(Who's zoomin' who?)
You'll remember my name
(Who's zoomin' who?)
I'm the one who beat you at your own game

(Who's zoomin' who?)
Take another look and tell me, sweet thing
(Who's zoomin' who?)
Who's zoomin', who's foolin'
Who's zoomin', who's foolin'
(Who's zoomin' who?)
Ooh, ooh boy
(Who's zoomin' who?)

Visit www.metrolyrics.com for over 450,000 lyrics.   

No comments:

Post a Comment